Website La Maestra Family Health Center
Job Title: Department Medical Director
As part of a multi-disciplinary team of healthcare providers under the leadership of the Medical Director, the staff physician works to achieve organizational goals of La Maestra Community Health Centers through the delivery of primary care services at a patient-centered medical home. The staff physician works in a collaborative effort across all departments to remove barriers for accessing healthcare. The staff physician must incorporate health center policies (including quality assurance) into their clinical practice to provide quality care commensurate with training and licensure. Position also provides oversight of clinical support staff (i.e. Advanced Practice Providers, Nursing staff and Medical Assistants) and handles operational issues on the clinical floor to ensure continuity of services and a smooth patient flow. Delivers care appropriate for an outpatient, primary care community health center with multicultural, multilingual patient population.
- Abides by all LMCHC clinical policies to provide quality medical care to all patients in accordance with training and licensure. Performs examination, diagnoses and treats patients 0 to 18 years of age or young adult up to late adolescence if the provider is comfortable.
- Acts as primary consultant on all pediatric cases referred by other staff providers, in person or via telephone. Must be willing to travel to and from service sites as needed and directed by Medical Director.
- Participates in the planning and implementation of new clinical programs as needed. Also, works with new technologies for the improvement of patient services and clinic operations.
- Handles day-to-day staff and scheduling conflicts affecting the clinical floor from a solutions-oriented approach. Immediately reports all clinical concerns to the Medical Director and works to find solutions with the best possible outcome.
- Works in cooperation with scheduling and administration departments to ensure a final provider schedule is published in a timely manner. Provides dates and times of potential conflict within the timelines required of all staff in accordance with Personnel Policy and Procedures.
- Provides supervision of medical assistants and lab personnel in area of specific support services for patient care delivery. Provides supervision in case assignment to physician assistant, including sign off on charts at a minimum of 5%. Makes recommendations for promotion, commendation, or disciplinary action where necessary or appropriate.
- From time to time, provides in-service training for staff in selected topics in Pediatric or Adolescent Medicine as appropriate, and as deemed necessary by the Medical Director.
- Completes medical charts after each visit according to the problem-oriented medical records system.
- Assists in internal quality control audits and participates in regularly scheduled meetings to address issues of quality assurance and improvement.
- Demonstrates patterns of continued learning in order to ensure growth as a practitioner.
- Attends internal and external meetings, workshops, and conferences, and participates on task forces or committees, as necessary and/or required by LMCHC.
- Performs all duties and services in full compliance with LMCHC’s standards of excellence and access. Adheres to all canons of ethics including code of conduct for clinical providers.
- Other duties or responsibilities as assigned by Medical Director.
Patient Centered Medical Home Essential Responsibilities (Principals)
- Collaborate with individual patients, their personal physicians, and when appropriate the patient’s family to ensure accessible, comprehensive, compassionate, and culturally competent care
- Facilitate care by registries, information technology, health information exchange and other means to assure that patients get the indicated care when and where they need and want it in a culturally and linguistically appropriate manner.
- Ensure all decisions respect patients’ wants, needs, and preferences and that patients have the education and support they require to make decisions and participate in their own care.
- Continually strive to attend to each patients “whole person,” in the context of the patient’s personal and medical history and life circumstances, rather than focusing on a particular disease, organ, or system
Education: Doctor of Medicine Degree from an approved/accredited school of medicine
Certification: Current valid CA Physician & Surgeon License. Board eligibility in Pediatrics is required; board certification is desirable. Current valid CPR certification
Experience: 1-2 years’ experience as a practicing pediatric physician in the State of California preferred.
Verbal and Written Skills to perform the job: Bilingual preferred. Familiarity with basic word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications. Accurate keyboarding skills.
Technical knowledge and skills required to perform the job: Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills and the demonstrated ability to work with diverse individuals and groups. Demonstrate high levels of self-initiation and direction. Knowledge of communities we serve. Knowledge and experience working in medical settings and interacting collaboratively with medical teams. Skill in analyzing situations and making timely decisions.
Physical and Mental Requirements: Work involves sitting, talking, hearing, using hands to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reaching with hands and arms. The employee may be required to push, pull, lift, and/or carry up to 20 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Interested Applicants please submit Cover Letter and resume to:
Human Resources Department
Email: email@example.com | Fax: 619-269-1291
La Maestra Community Health Centers is an equal opportunity employer and does not
discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender, disability or any other legally protected status.