Website La Maestra Family Health Center
Job Title: Senior Accountant
Reports To: Controller
Job Status: Non-Exempt
The Senior Accountant will be responsible for a set of accounting activities to ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, corporate policies and external audits. This position will be directly involved with monthly closing of accounts and preparation of reports in support of the financial statements and audits. This position will also assist with the preparation of departmental budgets and reports and work closely with management staff in reviewing and updating results and projections.
The Senior Accountant will work closely with the Controller, CFO and others in the organization in analysis and reconciliation of accounts and in development and implementation of accounting policies, procedures and controls.
This position requires leadership capabilities, a solid operational and technical accounting background and the ability to work proactively to drive results. This person is a self-starter, flexible, has a high level of integrity and is action and goal-oriented in a fast-paced, team-oriented, collaborative environment. The position also provides general accounting support to the Controller and the Chief Financial Officer as assigned.
- Provide support for the monthly financial close process, including ensuring all costs incurred are properly recorded, reviewing journal entries, account balance reconciliations and report preparation
- Participate in the ongoing development/establishment of accounting policies and procedures and operational strategies including the review and implementation of process and system changes.
- Continued focus on improving system efficiencies and business practices
- Participate in strategic financial projects including upgrades/phase-two implementation of ERP software
- Participate in coordination with external auditors to ensure successful audit results and compliance
- Interacts at all levels and with budget owners or other stakeholders to produce timely, efficient and accurate month-end close and all internal management and financial reporting through annual report
- Make recommendations for changes as needed and ensure that company policies and procedures are followed and establish the proper techniques to discover and prevent fraud
- Prepare detailed journal entries and account analyses
- Assist with compilation of information for preparation of tax returns
- Work with Audit, Tax and Treasury Manager to ensure overall coordination of all financial accounting activities through annual report
- Prepare summary feedback of financial statements variances to budget
- Provide input and feedback on financial/accounting processes
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or significant prior experience in similar position.
Certification required: Not applicable
Experience: Minimum of 6 years’ experience in community health center accounting functions or comparable work environments.
Verbal and Written Skills to perform the job: Bilingual preferred. Familiarity with basic word processing. High level of proficiency with Excel spreadsheets and data based applications. Accurate keyboarding skills.
Technical knowledge and skills required to perform the job:
- Process Improvements
- Attention to Detail
- Verbal and Written Communication
- Team Player
- Interpersonal Skills
- Demonstrate high levels of self-initiation and direction
- Knowledge of communities we serve.
Physical and Mental Requirements: Work involves sitting, talking, hearing, using hands to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reaching with hands and arms. The employee may be required to push, pull, lift, and/or carry up to 20 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Display knowledge of normal signs of human development and ability to assess and provide age appropriate interactions.
- Contribute to the success of the organization by participating in quality improvement activities
- Respond promptly and with caring actions to patients and employees. Acknowledge psychosocial, spiritual and cultural beliefs and honor these beliefs.
- Maintain professional working relationships with all levels of staff, clients and the public.
- Be part of a team and cooperate in accomplishing department goals and objectives
- Interacts and communicates in a manner to reflect an understanding of the patient’s age, culture, state of health, and level of comprehension
- Maintain current knowledge of policies and procedures as they relate to safe work practices.
- Follow all safety procedures and report unsafe conditions.
- Use appropriate body mechanics to ensure an injury free environment.
- Be familiar with location of nearest fire extinguisher and emergency exits.
- Follow all infection control procedures including blood-borne pathogen protocols
- Maintain privacy of all patient, employee and volunteer information and access such information only on a need to know basis for business purposes.
- Comply with all regulations regarding corporate integrity and security obligations. Report unethical, fraudulent or unlawful behavior or activity.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Pre-employment requirements include I-9 verification, physical examination, positive background and reference check results, completed employment application, new hire orientation attendance.
- Comply with all regulations and required schedules regarding OSHA training.
Employee Physical Compliance
- Required physical to be performed annually.
Policies and Procedures Compliance
- Responsible for following all La Maestra Family Clinic policies and procedures.
Meal Period Compliance (Non-exempt employees only.)
- Punch out before 5 hours from the start of shift for meal periods.
Sexual Harassment Training (Management employees only.)
- Comply with all regulations and required schedules regarding sexual harassment training.
La Maestra Community Health Centers is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applications from all individuals regardless of race, religion, color, sex, pregnancy, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability or any other protected class, political affiliation or belief.
I acknowledge that I have read and understand the attached job description. My signature below certifies that I am able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of this position. I have also discussed any accommodations that I feel I might need to allow me to perform these essential functions. I agree to abide by all administrative and medical policies and protocols of La Maestra Community Health Centers.
Interested Applicants please submit Cover Letter and resume to:
Human Resources Department
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Fax: 619-269-1291
La Maestra Community Health Centers is an equal opportunity employer and does not
discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender, disability or any other legally protected status.