Website La Maestra Family Health Center
Job Title: Security Guard
Reports To: Director of Security
Job Status: Non-Exempt
Salary Wage: $18.00 – $25.00 (DOE)
Plans and establishes security procedures to safeguard patients and staff.
- Patrol the inside and outside of the building regularly throughout your shift. If appropriate, also patrol other LMCHC properties regularly.
- Check for open/locked doors, windows, etc. for property safety.
- Be visible to patients and staff throughout your shift.
- Have a 2-way radio on your person throughout your shift to ensure you’re accessible.
- Disruptive patients are to be communicated with in the following professional manner:
*Approach the patient calmly, and courteously ask the patient to please calm down so that we may assist him/her as needed. Remember that your goal is always to diffuse a situation, and to communicate in a professional manner. Set the tone and be the example.
* If the patient does not change his/her inappropriate behavior and you believe the patient may need to be asked to leave the premises, call for the Clinic Manager/Director to assist. If the Clinic Manager/Director is not available; refer to the RN in charge to ensure the patient is clinically safe to be asked to leave the property. The goal is for the Management/Nurse to pacify the patient and have the behavior corrected so that the patient may be provided the care needed. If that goal cannot be reached due to cursing, safety concerns, threats, excessive yelling, etc., the patient will be asked to leave the premises.
*Once approved, courteously ask the patient to please leave the property or the police will be called. Escort/follow behind the patient as he/she leaves to ensure the safety of other patients and staff.
*If the patient does not leave, contact the police immediately and stay with the patient until police arrive.
- Ensures compliance with non-smoking policy: Smoking is not permitted inside the building. Smoking is only permitted outside the designated areas more than 25 feet away from building entrances. Enforce this as needed.
- Security Guards are not to handle any biohazard material.
- Security Guards are to assist management/staff when requested is possible.
- Security Guards are to walk employees to their vehicles upon request.
- Turn televisions and recorders on/off as needed; assist with changing out movies throughout the day.
- Assist with ensuring a clean and safe environment for all patients/staff by helping with taking out trash, clearing out boxes, accepting delivery items, delivering items internally, etc. as requested.
- Always respond to codes immediately
*Code Green= Disruptive Patient. Report to the specific area noted when the code was called. If area is not specified, check the front desk immediately.
*Code Red= Fire Emergency. Security guards are to calmly advise patients to exit the building and gather at the designated assembly areas. During this time, cars are not to be driven/moved from the surrounding parking lots. Security Guards are also to assist with checking all patient rooms, offices, and restrooms to ensure they are empty, all doors are closed, and all persons have exited the building. Ensure to always knock before entering a room with a closed door.
*Code Blue= Medical Emergency. Security guards are to check where the medical emergency is and assist the medical staff as needed/requested. If paramedics are called, standby and direct them to the correct area. Keep the area clear of onlookers and/or staff not needing to be involved with the emergency.
- Open/lock doors as needed at the beginning/end of the day.
- Deter patients from accessing 2nd and 3rd floors before 8am (Fairmount Site).
- Conduct a sweep of the entire building (all rooms, offices, work spaces, departments. etc.) in the evening to ensure all patients/staff have exited the building.
*Ensure to always knock before entering the room.
- Maintain hourly log, record all normal and abnormal observations during patrols.
- Observe everything suspicious on the site and report it to administration.
- Call the police if any crime is observed.
- Maintain effective communication and working relationships with other employees and patients.
- Participates in department or unit quality improvement activities
- Stay vigilant and ensuring the safety and smooth operation of the clinic. For this reason, we do not permit friends or family members loitering on the premises or other non-patient company. In addition to being visible around the clinic at all times it is not authorized to be seated in a car at any time during work hours.
- Other duties as assigned
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend staff meetings
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Patient Centered Medical Home Essential Responsibilities (Principals)
- Collaborate with individual patients, their personal physicians, and when appropriate the patient’s family to ensure accessible, comprehensive, compassionate, and culturally competent care
- Facilitate care by registries, information technology, health information exchange and other means to assure that patients get the indicated care when and where they need and want it in a culturally and linguistically appropriate manner.
- Ensure all decisions respect patients’ wants, needs, and preferences and that patients have the education and support they require to make decisions and participate in their own care.
- Continually strive to attend to each patient’s “whole person,” in the context of the patient’s personal and medical history and life circumstances, rather than focusing on a particular disease, organ, or system.
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Certification required: Current and Valid California Guard Card
Experience: 1-2 years’ experience preferred
Verbal and Written Skills to perform the job: Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred. Familiarity with basic word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications. Accurate keyboarding skills.
Technical knowledge and skills required to perform the job: Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills and the demonstrated ability to work with diverse individuals and groups. Demonstrate high levels of self-initiation and direction. Knowledge of communities we serve. Knowledge and experience working in medical settings and interacting collaboratively with medical teams. Skill in analyzing situations and making timely decisions.
Physical and Mental Requirements: Work involves sitting, talking, hearing, using hands to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reaching with hands and arms. The employee may be required to push, pull, lift, and/or carry up to 20 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Respond promptly and with caring actions to patients and employees. Acknowledge psychosocial, spiritual and cultural beliefs and honor these beliefs.
- Maintain professional working relationships with all levels of staff, clients and the public.
- Be part of a team and cooperate in accomplishing department goals and objectives
- Interacts and communicates in a manner to reflect an understanding of the patient’s age, culture, state of health, and level of comprehension
- Maintain current knowledge of policies and procedures as they relate to safe work practices.
- Follow all safety procedures and report unsafe conditions.
- Use appropriate body mechanics to ensure an injury free environment.
- Be familiar with location of nearest fire extinguisher and emergency exits.
- Follow all infection control procedures including blood-borne pathogen protocols
La Maestra Community Health Centers is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applications from all individuals regardless of race, religion, color, sex, pregnancy, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability or any other protected class, political affiliation or belief.
To apply for this job please visit lmfc.quickbase.com.