Website La Maestra Family Health Center
Salary Range: $25.00-$32.00 per hour.(DOE)
The Health Educator is responsible to see patients for roughly 75% of the day: Appointment type categories/curriculums include: Comprehensive Perinatal Services Program (CPSP), Family Planning, Nutrition (Adults & Pediatrics), and Diabetes & Hypertension. The Health Educator is also responsible for making attempts to retain all scheduled patients. This can be through following up with patients’ subsequent visits, making calls to regain patients, and/or tracking patients through various reports and finding means of contacting them. The Health Educator is responsible for continuing the patients’ education in regards to the services they provide.
· Attends monthly meetings and stays informed of the changes in the organization and the recommended care for patients.
· Attends in-house trainings and possible external trainings in order to improve and extend their knowledge and services provided.
· Communicates any findings to the rest of the department in a productive and timely manner.
· Takes on the role of the Comprehensive Perinatal Health Worker (CPHW) or Health Educator (HE) according to the qualifications found in the CPSP Provider Handbook.
· Facilitates the following appointments depending on the needs of the patient: CPSP Client Orientation, CPSP Initial Assessment, CPSP follow up visits, Health Education and/or Nutrition Education, CPSP Trimester and Post-Partum Reassessments, and March of Dimes Classes.
· Adds patients to “Perinatal Coordinator” report when the initiation of care begins for patients.
· Uses Perinatal Coordinator report as a tool to assist in tracking patients’ perinatal care.
· Ensures that the patient is seen by themselves and their OB provider as recommended.
· Ensures that all additional care including labs, ultrasounds and referrals are completed and that any special needs that the patient has are addressed and supported.
· Communicate any found needs to the OB department through the use of the Individualized Care Plan Documentation, EHR intake documentation as well as over the phone and/or email.
· Documents all visits and communication accurately and completely in accordance with La Maestra’s manuals and protocols.
· Administers a Family Planning Educational Session in compliance with La Maestra’s protocols which follow the state guidelines designed by Essential Access.
· Schedules appropriate appointments for the patient documents the visit and all communication with the patient in accordance with La Maestra’s manuals and protocols.
· Determines which curriculum will best suit the needs and health concerns of the patient.
· Facilitates an initial assessment, the appropriate class curriculum and the follow-up reassessment after completing the curriculum at 1 month out, 3 months out, and 6 months out.
· Documents all visits and communication with a patient in accordance with La Maestra’s manuals and protocols.
Education: High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree in a health-related field preferred.
Certification: MA Certificate, Certified Lactation Educator Counselor, Certified Family Planning Educator, Certified Pregnancy Counselor, Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician, and/or Certified Diabetes Educator preferred.
Experience: At least 1 year of experience in prenatal care in a clinical setting
Verbal and Written Skills to perform the job: Bilingual Spanish, Afghani, Arabic/Chaldean preferred. Familiarity with basic word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications. Accurate keyboarding skills.
Technical knowledge and skills required to perform the job: Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills and the demonstrated ability to work with diverse individuals and groups. Demonstrate high levels of self-initiation and direction. Knowledge of communities we serve. Knowledge and experience working in medical settings and interacting collaboratively with medical teams. Skill in analyzing situations and making timely decisions.
Physical and Mental Requirements: Work involves sitting, talking, hearing, using hands to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reaching with hands and arms. The employee may be required to push, pull, lift, and/or carry up to 20 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
La Maestra Community Health Centers is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applications from all individuals regardless of race, religion, color, sex, pregnancy, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability or any other protected class, political affiliation or belief.
To apply for this job please visit lmfc.quickbase.com.